The garden features reflected Arts and Crafts ideas and the revival of interest in the classical. In 1916 part of the garden area was taken back into Regent's Park, and the house was put to a number of uses but is now back in private ownership. The garden has been open to the public since 1928 and in 1994 it was renovated to reflect the 1890s layout.
This is the formal garden to St John's Lodge, the first villa to be built in John Nash's Regent's Park. It remained in private hands until 1916, and past owners included Lord Wellesley, Sir Isaac Goldsmid and the Marquesses of Bute. During this time various alterations were made to the house and the grounds were extended in 1836 and 1884. In 1892 a new garden 'fit for meditation' was designed for the 3rd Marquess of Bute with formal areas, fountain pond, Doric temple, stone portico and partly sunken chapel.
Visitor FacilitiesThe gardens are open daily from 7am - dusk.
- Access & Directions
Access Contact DetailsThe gardens are open daily from 7am - dusk.
DirectionsRail/London Overground/Tube (Northern/Victoria): Euston. Tube: Camden Town (Northern), Baker Street (Metropolitan, Hammersmith & City, Circle). Numerous buses
- Associated People
Royal Parks Agency
London Parks and Gardens Trust