Now overlooked by modern low-rise council blocks and the Crown Estate's Windsor House, the gardens have been refurbished and part of the cobbled surfaces of the former market restored.
The market was originally planned by John Nash in the 1820s as a third market for hay to serve Regent's Park. In 1834 it was known as Regent's Park Haymarket, and the modern plan preserves the outlines of this layout. It was established close to the Cumberland Basin, which was fed by an arm of Regent's Canal but eventually infilled in 1942/3. Cumberland Market Playground opened to the public in 1923. The market closed in 1926; an ice-house beneath was filled in during the 1930s.
Visitor FacilitiesThe site is open from 7.30am - dusk.
- Access & Directions
Access Contact DetailsThe site is open from 7.30am - dusk.
DirectionsTube: Great Portland Street (Metropolitan, Hammersmith & City, Circle). Rail/London Overground/Tube (Northern/Victoria): Euston. Bus: C2, 24, 27, 29, 134, 135
London Parks and Gardens Trust