The many gravestones have been cleared and removed to the perimeter, although a few remain in situ. The initial layout was informal with a central mound, and large plane trees on the boundaries all of which may date from 1889. A monument to composer Charles Dibdin (d.1814) and a granite drinking fountain were both erected in 1889. The gardens were restored and re-dedicated as a public garden on 10 June 2006 by the Countess of Rosebery.
The site was the former Camden Town Cemetery, the land acquired in 1802 for an additional burial ground for St Martin-in-the-Fields. Part of the land was used for St Martin's Almshouses built adjacent in 1818. The ground closed for burials in 1856 and was acquired by the Vestry of St Pancras in 1884 for public gardens, which were formally opened in July 1889.
Visitor FacilitiesPublic garden locked at dusk. Almshouse gardens are private although narrow strip on Bayham Street is accessible.
- Access & Directions
Access Contact DetailsPublic garden locked at dusk. Almshouse gardens are private although narrow strip on Bayham Street is accessible.
DirectionsLondon Overground: Camden Road. Tube: Camden Town (Northern). Bus: 46, 24, 27, 29, 74, 134, 135, 168, 214, 253, E11
London Parks and Gardens Trust