St Luke's Churchyard, Charlton (also known as Charlton Parish Church, St Luke with Holy Trinity)7428

London, Greater London, England

Brief Description

The small churchyard, now closed to burials, has gravestones set among grass, trees including yew, a number of shrubs in front of the building, and a flagstone path from the small entrance gate to the church. On the nearby village green Charlton Hornfair was held on St Luke's Day, 18 October, until 1816.

History

A church in Charlton is mentioned in 1077 and the manor was within Bermondsey Abbey until the 16th century. The medieval parish church of St Luke, built of chalk and flint, was demolished and largely rebuilt in the 1630s.

Visitor Facilities

Opening is unrestricted. Church open Tues & Thurs 10-2.
Access & Directions

Access Contact Details

Opening is unrestricted. Church open Tues & Thurs 10-2.

Directions

Rail: Charlton then bus. Bus: 53, 54, 380, 422, 486.
Contact

Telephone

01793 445050

Official Website

Click Here

Other websites

Owners

  • Charlton Benefice in the Diocese of Southwark

References

Contributors

  • London Parks and Gardens Trust