The site became an art gallery and local studies centre but later closed and is now Greenwich Steiner School, which moved here in 2008. Adjacent is Mycenae House, originally built in 1931-33 for the convent, which has been run as a Community Centre by an independent charity since 1994, set in pleasant gardens.
Woodlands was a Georgian villa built for businessman John Julius Angerstein in 1774, which once had extensive grounds with a lake, ice-house and fine conservatory. Angerstein was a great patron of the arts and his Old Masters collection formed the nucleus of the National Gallery. Woodlands remained in his family until 1876 but the estate was largely dispersed in the early C20th. The house was a convent after WWI until 1967 and in 1972 was acquired by Greenwich Council, with a small part of the original grounds.
- Access & Directions
DirectionsRail: Westcombe Park. Bus: 53, 54, 108, 202, 286, 380, 386, 422.
- 18th Century
- Late 18th Century
London Parks and Gardens Trust