The walled gardens have been planted as a series of gardens and some of the original parkland remains as Charlton Park, which is separated from Charlton House Grounds by a 19th-century ha-ha.
Charlton retains a village character with its old parish church and former manor house. Charlton House, a fine example of Jacobean domestic architecture, was built in the early 17th century for Sir Adam Newton on the site of an earlier manor house, and survives with remnants of its formal gardens and 17th-century summerhouse. From 1767 - 1925 it was owned by the Maryon Wilson family, who then gave it to Greenwich Borough Council, and the house was used as a library and a community centre, the stables becoming an area housing office. The village green where the annual Hornfair was held was adjacent to the house until it was enclosed in 1829.
Visitor FacilitiesPeace Garden daily 10am-dusk (winter)/ - 5pm (summer). House not open apart from library, events (available for hire/viewing by appointment)
- Access & Directions
Access Contact DetailsPeace Garden daily 10am-dusk (winter)/ - 5pm (summer). House not open apart from library, events (available for hire/viewing by appointment)
DirectionsRail: Charlton. Bus: 53, 54, 380, 422.
London Parks and Gardens Trust