The manor house survives as a fine example of Jacobean domestic architecture with remnants of its formal gardens. The grounds are partly separated from the park by a brick ha-ha of 1847. The north boundary wall dates mainly from the 17th century and there is a notable Lime Walk aligned with Charlton House. The park is now dominated by sports pitches but there are a number of newly redesigned gardens, including a Japanese-style herb garden, and the adjoining pond garden.
The public park is former parkland of the manor of Charlton. From 1767 - 1925 it was owned by the Maryon Wilson family, who then gave it to Greenwich Borough Council and Charlton Park was opened as a recreation ground in 1929.
Visitor FacilitiesOpening is unrestricted.
- Access & Directions
Access Contact DetailsOpening is unrestricted.
DirectionsRail: Charlton. Bus: 53, 54, 380, 422, 486.
- Early 20th Century (1901-1932)
Official WebsiteClick Here
London Parks and Gardens Trust