St Lawrence Churchyard, Morden (also known as Morden Parish Church)7423

London, England, Greater London

Brief Description

The churchyard has a lych-gate on London Road. Gravestones are set within the grass, and there are a number of good 18th-century monuments, including that of John Howard (d.1764).

History

The parish church of St Lawrence was built in 1636, probably a rebuilding of an older church as St Lawrence was often a Saxon dedication. Additions were made to the church in later centuries. Among those buried here were Huguenots who came to England fleeing religious persecution, including Peter Mauvillian who set up calico works along the Wandle at Ravensbury in the early-18th century. Part of the burial ground was built over for a new Rectory.

Visitor Facilities

Opening is unrestricted.
Access & Directions

Access Contact Details

Opening is unrestricted.

Directions

Rail: Morden South, St Helier. Bus: 80, 93, 154, 293.
Contact
References

Contributors

  • London Parks and Gardens Trust

  • London Parks and Gardens Trust