Cherry Wood is a remnant of old woodland that once covered a larger area but was eventually built over by residential development. Until 1990 it was neglected and used as a dump, but work to enhance it was then undertaken by LB Merton and Cherry Wood was established as a nature reserve in 2000.
In 1837 the site is shown on the Tithe Map as Great Wood, and, now surrounded by 1930s suburban housing, it is dominated by pedunculate oak trees.
Visitor FacilitiesOpening is unrestricted.
- Access & Directions
Access Contact DetailsOpening is unrestricted.
DirectionsTube: Morden (Northern) then bus. Rail: South Merton/Morden South. Bus: 163.
London Parks and Gardens Trust