The layout of 1909 is little altered today although the bowling green has been relocated in the south-east corner. Buildings pre-dating the park layout include the entrance lodge on the junction of Church Path and Mostyn Road, a two-storey lodge and an archway, both inside the park. The bandstand, cricket pavilion and toilet block all date from the 1909 layout although an ornate drinking fountain has since gone.
This park was originally the grounds of the Manor House, home of John Innes. On his death in 1904 he left the house, grounds and most of his money to found a school of horticulture, if possible, or a museum and other charitable schemes. The park was laid out in 1909 and designed for active and passive forms of recreation including tennis courts and bowling green. Screened by evergreen hedges and shrubs and secluded evergreen walks the park has an intimate character.
Visitor FacilitiesThe park is open from 8am - dusk (weekdays); 9am - dusk (weekends/bank holidays).
- Access & Directions
Access Contact DetailsThe park is open from 8am - dusk (weekdays); 9am - dusk (weekends/bank holidays).
DirectionsRail: Wimbledon Chase, South Merton. Tramlink: Merton Park. Bus: K5, 201, 413
- Early 20th Century (1901-1932)
London Parks and Gardens Trust