The rectangular sunken garden was in place by the early-1950s, within a formal layout out of paths and by this time there was a putting green in the south east corner, more tennis courts and a playing field on the site of the allotments. Shelters, toilets and a drinking fountain were also provided. Today it is largely open grassland, the sunken rose garden a reminder of the site's past use.
The land here was once part of Merton Common, and was used as brickworks by the late-19th century. The buildings remained but the brickworks were disused by 1913, and the land form alongside the main road, then called Green Lane, showed the result of the extensive extraction. Mostyn Gardens is adjacent to the Merton Park estate developed by John Innes from the 1880s onwards. It was laid out by 1935 on the site of the brickworks and had tennis courts in the north, and allotment gardens and a school to the east.
Visitor FacilitiesThe park is open from 8am - dusk (weekdays); 9am - dusk (weekends/bank holidays).
- Access & Directions
Access Contact DetailsThe park is open from 8am - dusk (weekdays); 9am - dusk (weekends/bank holidays).
DirectionsRail: South Merton. Tube: Morden (Northern) then bus. Bus: 201
London Parks and Gardens Trust