The burial ground was closed in 1814 when St John's Wood Burial Ground opened; it was laid out as a public recreation ground in 1885 and was opened in 1886 by Princess Louise. Most gravestones were removed although a fine C18th mausoleum in the south garden commemorates the wife of Richard Fitzpatrick.
- Visitor Access, Directions & Contacts
Access contact details
The gardens are open from 7am - dusk.
Tube: Baker Street (Bakerloo, Hammersmith & City, Circle, Metropolitan, Jubilee), Bond Street (Central, Jubilee). Bus: 18, 27, 30, 205, 453; 2,13,30,74,82,113,139,189,247
- Associated People
- Features & Designations
- Reference: Portman Estate
Site of Local Importance for Nature Conservation
- Key Information
Parks, Gardens And Urban Spaces
Open to the public
London Parks and Gardens Trust