Features of Millfields Park include avenues of mature plane and elm trees, a river, community orchard and athletics track.
Millfields Park is former Lammas land in the Manor of Hackney, the name arising from a 14th-century corn mill on the river Lee/Lea in use until the late-18th century. A second mill was built in 1443 at which time the names North Mill Field and South Mill Field came into use. They comprised strips held by tenants of the Manor until at least the mid-18th century. The Millfields were saved from development following a petition to preserve 180 acres of common land in Hackney for public use. Millfields Recreation Grounds were laid out and opened in 1884, the LCC having acquired 23.25 acres of Mill Field North and 34.25 acres of Mill Field South. There was a sports stadium in the park from 1894-1913, but this was demolished in 1980 when Millfields Estate was built.
Visitor FacilitiesOpening is unrestricted.
- Access & Directions
Access Contact DetailsOpening is unrestricted.
DirectionsRail: Clapton. Bus: 38. 48. 55, 56, 242, 253, 254, 393, S2
London Parks and Gardens Trust