Clapton Pond (also known as Lower Clapton Gardens)8276

Greater London, England, Greater London

Brief Description

Clapton Pond today consists of two small enclosures divided by Newick Road, the south side laid out with a bridged pond purportedly dug in the 17th century. The gardens were re-landscaped in 1977-79 retaining the bridge and most of the trees including a number of semi-mature Willows, particularly being replanted with shrubs.

History

The pond, once the heart of the village of Clapton, was used as a reservoir for water supplied to the village in the early-18th century and then between 1760-1833, the water brought via pipes from the River Lee. In 1898 Hackney District Board acquired Clapton Pond for public gardens.

Visitor Facilities

The site is open from 7.30am - dusk (summer 9.30pm, winter 4pm).
Access & Directions

Access Contact Details

The site is open from 7.30am - dusk (summer 9.30pm, winter 4pm).

Directions

Rail: Clapton. Bus: 38, 48, 55, 106, 253, 254, S2.
References

References