Various facilities have been provided over the years, including women's toilets in 1908, Hackney Downs Lodge in 1959, an extension to the bowling green in 1960 as well as the playground and sports courts.
Hackney Downs is former Lammas land, which was surrounded by fields until the mid-19th century. Horse-racing was recorded in 1733, and cricket, football and rugby were known to have been played here. As housing development began to threaten the area's common land, the MBW acquired the Downs and other Hackney Commons by Act of Parliament in 1872 to preserve it as public open space. Hackney Downs opened as a public park in 1884, laid out with paths and surrounded by notable plane, lime and ash trees.
- Access & Directions
Access Contact DetailsOpening is unrestricted.
DirectionsRail: Hackney Downs. Bus: 56
London Parks and Gardens Trust