The war memorial was erected after World War 1, now commemorating the dead of both World Wars, located in the centre of a formal 1930s style layout comprising a circular paved seating area with four radial pathways to the surrounding streets. Stone piers are at each entrance, those on the main entrance from High Street surmounted by small glass flame shades. Four planted areas have grass and lozenge-shaped beds, with small trees around the perimeter including winter flowering cherry. Nearby is the 1930s Harrow Green Library on Cathall Road.
- Visitor Access & Directions
Access Contact DetailsOpening is unrestricted.
DirectionsTube: Leyton (Central). London Overground: Leytonstone High Road. Bus: 257
Harrow Green was established as a separate ecclesiastical district in 1879. Formerly forest land, this small triangle between road junctions was given to Leyton Board to be maintained as an ornamental enclosure.
- Early 20th Century (1901-1932)
London Parks and Gardens Trust