The cemetery is crossed by tarmac roadways and paths, with trees planted throughout including mature oak, poplar, Lombardy poplar, plane and sycamore. There are a number of fine monuments, including the striking modernist Ferrari mausoleum of 1965 and also a section for graves of Lithuanians. The war memorial consists of a raised platform with rows of white headstones hedged to the rear, with a white stone monument in the front.
St Patrick's Catholic Cemetery opened in 1868 to cope with the population expansion in Hackney in the 19th century.
Visitor FacilitiesWeekdays 8am-4pm; Sundays/Bank Holidays 9am-4pm
Detailed DescriptionSt Patrick's Catholic Cemetery opened in 1868 to cope with the population expansion in Hackney in the C19th. The cemetery buildings, including its yellow brick Gothic mortuary chapel, were designed by the Roman Catholic architect Samuel J Nicholl who designed a number of RC churches as well as the cemetery buildings of St Mary's Catholic Cemetery at Kensal Green. By the early 1980s 168,000 burials are recorded as having taken place at St Patrick's. In order to cater for the demand for burials, land was reclaimed by adding a further 6-foot layer of earth over the old graves. Among those buried here is Mary Kelly, the last victim of Jack the Ripper, murdered in 1888.
Hugh Meller & Brian Parsons, 'London Cemeteries, An Illustrated Guide and Gazetteer', 4th edition (The History Press, 2008); Robert Burley, Meg Game, Mathew Frith 'Nature Conservation in Waltham Forest', Ecology Handbook 11 (London Ecology Unit, 1989).
For more information see http://www.londongardensonline.org.uk/gardens-online-record.asp?ID=WAL040
- Access & Directions
Access Contact DetailsWeekdays 8am-4pm; Sundays/Bank Holidays 9am-4pm
DirectionsTube: Leyton (Central). Bus: 58, 69, 97, 158
London Parks and Gardens Trust