The entrance to the burial ground on Bells Hill is through a small Gothic-style brick lych-gate with tiled roof and painted wooden gates; there is no chapel and the cemetery is served by St Stephen's church further down Bells Hill. The north-eastern side has older monuments with mature cedar and yew trees amongst deciduous species. The western section has more recent graves with utilitarian modern headstones.
Bells Hill Burial Ground was consecrated on 30 April 1895 by The Rt. Rev. John Wogan, Bishop of St Albans, and according to a plaque at the entrance 'was provided for the Ancient Parish of Chipping Barnet from the Funds of the Chancel Estate Trust founded by James Ravenscroft'.
Visitor FacilitiesMain gate: 9am-5pm; lower gate on Bells Hill: 9am-8.30pm or dusk if earlier.
Detailed DescriptionBells Hill Burial Ground was consecrated in 1895 by the Bishop of St Albans, and was established to provide for the parish of Chipping Barnet. Entered through a small lych-gate, older monuments are found to the north east of the cemetery where there are mature cedar, yew and other species of trees; more recent graves are to the west. The main path from the entrance gate has been narrowed in some places where new graves have been provided.
Jan Hewlett, Ian Yarham, David Curson, 'Nature Conservation in Barnet', London Ecology Unit, 1997.
For more information see http://www.londongardensonline.org.uk/gardens-online-record.asp?ID=BAR006
- Access & Directions
Access Contact DetailsMain gate: 9am-5pm; lower gate on Bells Hill: 9am-8.30pm or dusk if earlier.
DirectionsTube: High Barnet (Northern) then bus. Bus 384.
London Parks and Gardens Trust