An axial drive from Mitcham Road entrance runs through the simply planned cemetery comprising a grid of paths dotted with a few specimen trees including Deodar Cedar, Acacia, Corsican Pine, Lebanon Cedar. Shrubs include Laurel, Holly and Yew. A double avenue of Lime runs down the north-west (1935) extension. Buildings include the tile-hung lodge, brick Gothic chapel and crematorium, and the cemetery has brick walls with railings and stone dressings.
Opened by the Burial Board in 1897, Croydon Cemetery was made as an overspill to Queen's Road Cemetery in response to the growing need for more burial spaces. Croydon Crematorium was built in 1937, later extended in 1962 when the east chapel was added.
Visitor FacilitiesApril - September: 9am - 7.30pm; October - March: 9am - 5pm
Detailed DescriptionMitcham Road Cemetery, originally called Croydon Cemetery, was opened in 1897 as an overspill to Queen's Road Cemetery. Buildings included the lodge and chapel. The cemetery has been enlarged twice, in 1935 and in 1937 when Croydon Crematorium was added, later extended in 1962. The cemetery is simply laid out with a grid of paths, avenue of limes and some specimen trees, but around the Crematorium are more formal gardens, a pond, winding paths and drives. Noteworthy monuments include the Lanfranc Memorial to 34 boys and 2 masters from Lanfranc School killed in an air crash in 1961.
Hugh Meller & Brian Parsons, 'London Cemeteries, An Illustrated Guide and Gazetteer', 4th edition (The History Press, 2008), pp141/2; LB Croydon, 'Local List of Historic Parks & Gardens', December 2008
For more information see http://www.londongardensonline.org.uk/gardens-online-record.asp?ID=CRO046
- Access & Directions
Access Contact DetailsApril - September: 9am - 7.30pm; October - March: 9am - 5pm
DirectionsRail: East Croydon. Rail/London Overground: West Croydon then bus. Tramlink: Therapia Lane. Bus: 64, 109, 198, 250, 264, 289
London Parks and Gardens Trust