Among those buried here was essayist William Hazlitt whose tomb remains in the gardens. In addition to re-landscaping, the Wall of Light perimeter fencing was installed as an innovative security fence in 2003/4, and in 2007 the Toilet Pod or Artshed was constructed.
St Anne's Churchyard was delimited by Act of Parliament in 1678, and formed adjacent to the church of St Anne Soho, which was later destroyed by bombing so that only the early C19th tower remains. The churchyard was raised 6 ft above the pavement to accommodate over 13,000 parishioners who were buried here. Closed to burials in 1853, the churchyard was laid out as a public garden by the MPGA in 1892, responsibility for the garden passing to the City of Westminster in 1903.
Visitor FacilitiesThe site is open daily from 10am - dusk.
- Access & Directions
Access Contact DetailsThe site is open daily from 10am - dusk.
DirectionsTube: Leicester Square (Piccadilly, Northern), Piccadilly (Piccadilly, Bakerloo). Bus: 19, 38
- Associated People
Just one person associated to St Anne's Churchyard, Westminster
London Parks and Gardens Trust