A number of monuments remain from the churchyard within the grass and stacked in the west corner. The gardens were re-named Altab Ali Park in 1989 in memory of a young Bengali man who had been murdered in a racist attack here in 1978; a Memorial Gateway was commissioned and inscribed plaques were set into the pathway. Re-landscaping is being carried out in 2011.
- Visitor Access, Directions & Contacts
Access contact details
Opening is unrestricted.
Tube: Aldgate East (District; Hammersmith & City). Bus: 25, 15, 253.
LB Tower Hamlets
19th - 20th Century
The last church was built in 1875 but later destroyed in air raids in 1940, and demolished in 1945, although part of the 19th-century boundary walls and gate piers at the former entrance remain. Adjacent to the latter is a gothic drinking fountain dated 1860, erected here in 1879, with the inscription 'erected by one unknown and yet well known'.
In 1966 the church site was laid out as a public garden, with the footprint of the church outlined in concrete blocks flush with the grass.
- Features & Designations
- Drinking Fountain
- Description: Gothic drinking fountain, dated 1860, erected in 1879, with the inscription 'erected by one unknown and yet well known'.
- Key Information
Parks, Gardens And Urban Spaces
Open to the public