Enclosed by railings, the garden has grass and flower beds on the north side, tombstones are set against the east wall. The south-facing area is paved, with flower beds, a few small trees, tombs and seats, and a modern sculpture. A drinking fountain erected in 1906 is against the railings. The former churchyard to the north is largely grass with mature plane trees, tombs set into the grass and some headstones.
Due to its dedication to St Botolph the church is deemed to be of Saxon origin, St Botolph being the Anglo-Saxon patron saint of travellers. Evidence of burials in the C10th or C11th was revealed when the crypt was excavated in 1990. Although it escaped the Great Fire of 1666, the medieval church was dilapidated by 1741 and the present building was completed by 1744. Its raised churchyard was being used as public open space by 1875, following closure for burials as a result of the 1855 Burial Act, and it was converted as a public garden in 1892.
Visitor FacilitiesAccess is unrestricted. Church: Mon-Fri 10am-3pm.
- Access & Directions
Access Contact DetailsAccess is unrestricted. Church: Mon-Fri 10am-3pm.
DirectionsTube: Aldgate (Metropolitan; Circle)
- Associated People
London Parks and Gardens Trust