The former churchyard is now a sunken garden with gate piers of c.1870 at the entrance from Holborn Viaduct, from where steps lead down to the church.
A timber church on the hilltop site is referred to in AD951 and Roman pottery has been discovered here. The medieval church of St Andrew Holborn was rebuilt in the C15th and, although unaffected by the Great Fire, was rebuilt by Christopher Wren in 1684-90 having become dilapidated. Gutted in WWII, it was subsequently rebuilt in 1960/1. There was a churchyard by 1348, which was full by 1754 requiring a new parish burial ground to be set up. Part of the churchyard was lost when the road was widened in the 1860s and bodies from the old churchyard were exhumed.
Visitor FacilitiesThe site is open Mon/Tue/Thur/Fri: 8am-5.30pm; Wed: 8am-2pm & 6-9pm.
- Access & Directions
Access Contact DetailsThe site is open Mon/Tue/Thur/Fri: 8am-5.30pm; Wed: 8am-2pm & 6-9pm.
DirectionsTube: Chancery Lane (Central). Rail: City Thameslink