What remains of the burial ground is now overlooked by 1960s offices, a small public garden entered through a modest gate, from where steps lead to a raised area of grass, trees and shrubs, re-landscaped by 2009. A few tombstones remain inside the boundary railings and in shrubbery on the west perimeter.
The garden is a fragment of the former burial ground of St Dunstan in the West, the church located further south facing onto Fleet Street. Bream's Buildings was an C18th close off Chancery Lane that was extended to Fetter Lane in 1882. St Dunstan's was the last medieval City church to be rebuilt. First mentioned in c.1185, it was later known as St Dunstan in the West to distinguish it from St Dunstan in the East. The old church escaped the Great Fire in 1666, but by the early C19th was dilapidated and a new church was built by 1833 further to the north on the part of the burial ground.
Visitor FacilitiesThe site is open from 8am - 7pm or dusk if earlier.
- Access & Directions
Access Contact DetailsThe site is open from 8am - 7pm or dusk if earlier.
DirectionsTube: Chancery Lane (Central)
London Parks and Gardens Trust