The park contains a large lake with several islands, formed by diverting water from Loxford Water, part of Seven Kings Brook, and the landscape has mature trees including oak, beech, lime and horse chestnut. The site of the bandstand remains marked by hedging and a tarmac path skirts the perimeter of the park.
South Park was created following Ilford Council's purchase of 32 acres of Loxford Hall Estate in 1899 and opened in 1902. Facilities provided included tennis courts and a bowling green with pavilion, used by Clementswood Bowling Club. In 1923 the Broadway Clocktower was erected in the park, but destroyed by a World War 2 bomb in 1944.
Visitor FacilitiesThe park is open daily 8am-dusk, but is closed on Christmas Day.
- Access & Directions
Access Contact DetailsThe park is open daily 8am-dusk, but is closed on Christmas Day.
DirectionsRail: Seven Kings. Bus: 86, 128, 129, 145, 366
- Early 20th Century (1901-1932)
London Parks and Gardens Trust