Round Hill, Conington 6021

Conington, England, Cambridgeshire, Huntingdonshire

Brief Description

Features of Round Hill include a moat, a footbridge, a medieval deer park and a former lodge.

History

Round Hill was created in the early-17th century as a private residence.

Detailed Description

South of Glatton and 1.5 miles west of Conington church on an eastern spur is a partly moated pentagonal enclosure within a medieval deer park accessed by a footbridge from the east. The 1613 map shows a circular garden in a wooded area divided by cross paths, possibly edged with hedges. At the centre was a lodge, now demolished.

To the west was a symmetrical ogee space edged with trees. The whole area was probably intended for a house to be built by Sir Robert Cotton (1586-1631), who lived at Conington Castle. A sketch made in 1912 shows a two-storeyed gate lodge with a pediment above a large recessed circular arch. The site is no doubt the subject of the old ryme, ‘Glatton round hill/ Yaxley stone mill/ and Whittlesey mere/ Are the three wonders of Huntingdonshire’.

Features
  • Ornamental Bridge
  • Latest Date:
  • Gate Lodge
  • Latest Date:
  • Hedge
  • Latest Date:
  • Path
  • Latest Date:
  • Lodge (featured building)
  • Latest Date:
Authorities

Civil Parish

  • Conington
History

Detailed History

Round Hill was most likely established as a future residence site for Sir Robert Cotton in the early-17th century.
References

Contributors

  • Cambridgeshire Gardens Trust