Garden Remains, Hamerton 5975

Hamerton, England, Cambridgeshire, Huntingdonshire

Brief Description

Previous features of the garden remains on the site of Hamerton Manor House include ponds, orchards, a mount, terraces, walks, flower beds and a canal.

History

The garden remains were created in the mid-17th century. There is now little remaining of the garden.

Detailed Description

Sale particulars of 1669-83 state to the east of the sloping garden and ‘several yards behind it, are ponds of water, with a great garden, and other lesser gardens and faire orchards well planted with good fruit, consisting of about 10 acres (four hectares)’.

The site consists of a broad rectangular area with a large mount, and terraces with walks and flower beds, all sloping away to a long ‘L’ shaped canal. To the east lies a trapezoidal area bounded by a low bank, probably a water garden with an island in the centre of a marshy area.

Features
  • Pond
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Orchard
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Flower Bed
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Mount
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Garden Terrace
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Canal
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Walk
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Island
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Manor House (featured building)
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
Authorities

Civil Parish

  • Hamerton
History

Detailed History

To the south of the present Rectory, which was built in 1851 on the site of Hamerton Manor House, are the remains of an elaborate garden.
References

Contributors

  • Cambridgeshire Gardens Trust