The Manor, Sawtry 6020

Sawtry, England, Cambridgeshire, Huntingdonshire

Brief Description

Features of The Manor include a lawn, hawthorn hedges and several ponds.

History

The Manor was created in the early-19th century as a private residence.

Detailed Description

The garden is enclosed by a new brick wall to allow evergreen oak branches to grow through it. The south garden has a lawn with specimen trees, shrubs and conifers. To the east along the road frontage, behind a hawthorn hedge are alternate golden and dark green conifers. To the north is one of several ponds still remaining in a large field owned by the manor in 1880, called Park Pond. The northern part of the field has now been developed for housing. Manor House has now lost the view across its field or small park.
Features
  • Garden Wall
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Lawn
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Shrub Feature
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Hedge
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Pond
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • House (featured building)
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
Authorities

Civil Parish

  • Sawtry
History

Detailed History

This 1820 brick house is situated to the north-east of the village green. Parts of the estate have been developed for housing.
References

Contributors

  • Cambridgeshire Gardens Trust