Steeple Gidding Garden Remains 5976

Steeple Gidding, England, Cambridgeshire, Huntingdonshire

Brief Description

Previous features of the garden at Steeple Gidding include a raised platform, scarps and banks, ponds and a double avenue of trees.

History

The gardens were created in the 17th century.

Detailed Description

A large raised platform has traces of cross-paths on it. While below the platform, to the south and east, are the low scarps and banks of another part of the formal garden set about five rectangular ponds.

The Ordnance Survey map of 1885 shows a double avenue of trees commencing from the southern-most pond and crossing the landscape to the south for almost one mile. A short length of one side of this avenue still remains in arable fields today.

Features
  • Pond
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Avenue
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Path
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • House (featured building)
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
Authorities

Civil Parish

  • Steeple Gidding
History

Detailed History

To the south of the redundant village church and adjacent to the site of a deserted village of Steeple Gidding are the remains of a 17th-century garden. Soon after 1648 Sir Thomas Cotton demolished an exisitng house, built a new one and laid out an elaborate garden. The house was demolished in the early-19th century but the outlines of the garden survive.