Corhampton House 4975

Corhampton, Southampton, England, Hampshire, Winchester

Brief Description

Originally a hunting box, Corhampton House was substantially extended in the mid-18th century, having mellow brick elevations of old ochre-colour. Much of the parkland was sold in the mid-20th century but the walled garden remains with the property, which is now divided into three dwellings. The late-19th-century ice house is mainly intact but now part of a neighbouring farm.

History

In the mid-18th-century, Corhampton House was refurbished and became the primary residence for the Wyndham family. The house and landscape was kept in the Wyndham family until the 1950s, when the house was converted into a care home. Currently, the house is divided into three separate dwellings.

Detailed Description

The house, now divided into three dwellings, has been restored since being a care home and an unsightly annex demolished. Outbuildings, including cow sheds and the dairy, were sold to Corhampton Park Farm and remain much as they were. The icehouse, also belonging to Corhampton Park Farm, remains though requires restoration.

The walled garden was retained with the house and has been planted as a knot garden, though one wall has been lost. Iron railings are visible in the adjoining parkland with the remains of an iron gate close to the walled garden. Though the ownership of the land has been split, the nature of pasture and parkland remains strong.

Features
  • Icehouse
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Knot Garden
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • House (featured building)
  • Description: The house has mellow brick elevations of old ochre-colour. Lime-wash traces can still be seen.
  • Latest Date:
Garden Wall, Ornamental Pond, Glasshouse, Ironwork
Authorities

Civil Parish

  • Corhampton and
History

Detailed History

Originally believed to be a hunting box, Corhampton House was extended in the mid-18th century and became the seat of the Wyndham family. Described as of architectural and historic interest with mellow brick elevations of old ochre-colour, lime-wash traces can still be seen. From 1750, the house belonged to the Wyndham family. In the early-20th century, Walter Vansittart Long, son of Walter Long of Preshaw House, married into the Wyndham family. After the death of his wife, the house was sold to Hampshire County Council in 1950 for use as a care home. Much of the surrounding parkland was sold off at this time.

During the 18th and 19th centuries, the house stood in substantial parkland with a walled garden to the south, a pond on the eastern boundary and several glasshouses, including at one time a tropical greenhouse. In the 1890s an icehouse was built. There were working water meadows across from the eastern boundary of the estate until the 1950s.

Contact

Telephone

01793 445050

Official Website

Click Here