Plas Machen 2650

Caerphilly, Wales

Brief Description

Plas Machen has the remains of a 16th-century garden layout. There are two walled enclosures with terracing retained by massive stone walls. A further flat area is bounded by a rectangular fishpond, the size and orientation of which suggest that it was conceived as part of the overall design.

Features
  • House (featured building)
  • Description: The original house was built by Thomas Morgan. In 1580 the Tredegar and Machen estates were united and after the Civil War Plas Machen became a tenanted farmhouse.
  • Earliest Date:
  • Fishpond
  • Description: A narrow rectangular fishpond which was probably utilitarian, but also appears to be intentionally incorporated into the original garden layout.
History

Period

  • Tudor (1485-1603)
Contact

Telephone

01443 336000

Official Website

Click Here
References

References