Search for the name, locality, period or a feature of a locality. You'll then be taken to a map showing results.

Stow Park Circle, nos 15 and 17 (also known as Stelvio House)


This is an extensive early-20th-century rock and water garden set on a sloping site. Built to accompany Stelvio House, the garden was later sold and now is divided between two surviving properties.The garden is constructed of artificial stone and is likely to be the work of James Pulham and Sons, who also worked at Bellevue Park. There is an exceptional grotto.


Plant Environment

  • Environment
  • Water Garden
  • Grotto
  • Description: In what is now the garden of No 17 is a well-preserved cavern about 2.2 metres high built of artificial stone with a real stone and concrete roof. It is floored with flagstones and has three entrances and a small entrance. It is integrated with a rockwork boundary wall and set amongst the pools and channels of the rockwork water garden.
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Pulhamite
  • Description: This is an extensive rockwork garden fashioned in artificial stone and concrete and incorporating a grotto, pools, cascades and a ravine.
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Water Feature
  • Description: The rockwork and water garden is now divided between the two properties. The southern part of the present garden of No 15 contains a Pulhamite ravine leading to a circular pond with an island and bridge.
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Outdoor Swimming Pool
  • Description: Adjoining the circular pool in the garden of No 15 is a now derelict concrete swimming pool orientated north-south and approached through the rockwork garden.
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
Visitor Access & Directions


Leave M4 at Newport on A48, Cardiff Road. After one mile take left on Masefield Drive, right on Basseleg Road, and sharp right to Stow park Circle.
  • CADW Register of Landscapes Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in Wales
  • Reference: PGW(Gt) 58 (NPT)
  • Grade: II


The garden was created to accompany Stelvio House, Bassaleg Road, for the shipping magnate Charles Henry Bailey and his widow, Gertude.The house was sold to Sir John Cecil Davies, whose widow Lady Emma, later gave the house (only) to the Guardians of the Poor as a home for delicate children. It later passed to the Council and was demolished in 1996. The rock and water garden was passed by Deed on Gift in 1935 from Lady Emma to the owner of No 17. The rest of the garden was sold in 1946.


  • Early 20th Century (1901-1932)
Associated People