Park House, Harston (also known as The Park)5641

Harston, England, Cambridgeshire, South Cambridgeshire

Brief Description

Features include a garden wall, large trees, a summerhouse fountain and conservatory.

History

Park House was created in the mid-19th century as a private residence.

Detailed Description

The long road frontage is marked by a fretwork stone wall with stone piers at the drive and the footpath entrances. To the southern side of the house are mature trees, including giant redwoods of similar stature to those at Harston House.

Trees now block the view from the house across the road to the mini-park opposite, as yet not a housing estate. A Victorian garden layout on the 1888 Ordnance Survey map included a pond, summerhouse, fountain, conservatory and glasshouses at random in a walled garden with an orchard, some of which still remain.

Features
  • Summerhouse
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Glasshouse
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Conservatory
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Pond
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Orchard
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Fountain
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • House (featured building)
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
Authorities

Civil Parish

  • Harston
History

Detailed History

Standing back from the A10 in the centre of the village, Park House was built by the Hurrell family in 1854 as The Park.

Period

  • Victorian (1837-1901)
References

Contributors

  • Cambridgeshire Gardens Trust