Little Shelford Hall 5614

Little Shelford, England, Cambridgeshire, South Cambridgeshire

Brief Description

Features include a stream, park and a garden wall.

History

The gardens at Little Shelford Hall were created in the mid-19th century.

Detailed Description

Between 1775 and 1845 a family mausoleum, designed by William Wilkins, stood west of the house in Camping Close. The House stands at the north end of a small park adjoining the Whittlesford Road and is bounded by a stream partly canalised, which joins the River Cam near Shelford Mill.

The park is enclosed by a wall along the road boundary, and was laid out with a belt planting almost dividing it in two separate areas. Today the more southern area has been developed for housing.

Features
  • Garden Wall
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Belt
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Mausoleum
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Manor House (featured building)
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
Authorities

Civil Parish

  • Little Shelford
History

Detailed History

In 1851 Robert Gregory Wale pulled down most of the existing house on the site then known as The Lodge. He built a new house on the same site in the Gothic style with his architect W. J. Donthorn. Much of that building burnt down in 1928. The north wing and part of the 19th-century stabling survive and have been converted into private houses.

Period

  • Victorian (1837-1901)
References

Contributors

  • Cambridgeshire Gardens Trust