Little Shelford Manor House 5616

Little Shelford, England, Cambridgeshire, South Cambridgeshire

Brief Description

Features include avenues, a kitchen and flower garden and lawns.

History

Little Shelford Manor House was established in the mid-18th century.

Detailed Description

In 1745, Finch created a small park to the west, planted avenues on both sides of the house and created a formal garden. These gardens were swept away and what remains to the north and south of the house extend to the banks of the River Cam. The gardens are largely of 19th-century origin, and include kitchen and flower gardens with lawns and cedars.
Features
  • Kitchen Garden
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Lawn
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Avenue
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Manor House (featured building)
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
Authorities

Civil Parish

  • Little Shelford
History

Detailed History

A new house was built here soon after 1600 by Sir Tobias Palavicino, son of Horatio, of Babraham Hall, who added a moat or refurbished an existing one. In 1745 William Finch replaced this house by the present brick one.
References

Contributors

  • Cambridgeshire Gardens Trust