Little Shelford, Priesthouse 5615

Little Shelford, England, Cambridgeshire, South Cambridgeshire

Brief Description

Features include a summer house, tree belt and hot houses.

History

Priesthouse was created in the mid-19th century as a rectory.

Detailed Description

In 1914 Fanny Wale wrote in her ‘A Record of Shelford Parva' that it was built for the Rev. J. E. Law who was a natural scientist. His telescope is still on top of the summer house and the garden remains as he planned it.

The lawns are perfectly kept. A belt of trees shuts off the churchyard and near the gate is a remarkably thick well cut box hedge. Hot houses and a kitchen garden are on the north side of the house, also a fowl run. There are many box and yew trees clipped to varying shapes.

Features
  • Summerhouse
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Greenhouse
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Kitchen Garden
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Lawn
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Tree Belt
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Rectory (featured building)
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
Authorities

Civil Parish

  • Little Shelford
History

Detailed History

In 1858 the old rectory in Little Shelford was demolished and a new brick house in the Gothic style built on the same site by J. E. Law. The rectory was sold in 1962 and in 1980 the house was renamed Priesthouse. It is the home of Cambridge Fine Art.

Period

  • Victorian (1837-1901)
References

Contributors

  • Cambridgeshire Gardens Trust