The Grange, Great Shelford 5619

Great Shelford, England, Cambridgeshire, South Cambridgeshire

Brief Description

Features include a deer park and lawns.

History

The Grange was created in the 16th and 17th centuries.

Detailed Description

The house has a south facing garden with extensive lawns with fine trees, including a mature copper beech. Luckily the new housing development to the north east of the house does not obscure the view across the paddock.
Features
  • Lawn
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • House (featured building)
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
Authorities

Civil Parish

  • Great Shelford
History

Detailed History

This two storey house to the south of Church Street, built in the 16th and 17th centuries, was remodelled in 1890. It was the home of Mr. Church, a friend of the celebrated Cambridge antiquary William Cole, who used the paddock as a small deer park.

Period

  • Tudor (1485-1603)
References

Contributors

  • Cambridgeshire Gardens Trust