Barrington Hall 5685

Barrington, England, Cambridgeshire, South Cambridgeshire

Brief Description

Features include a drive, a lodge and herbaceous borders.

History

Barrington Hall was constructed in the 16th century as a private residence.

Detailed Description

The grounds are approached through a pillarded gateway and the drive soon reaches the Hall. The dense and mature planting contrives to obscure the hall from the road, even though it can be glimpsed from the green. A lodge, specimen trees and herbaceous borders are sympathetically maintained as a private garden around offices for the cement company.
Features
  • Drive
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Herbaceous Border
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Gate Lodge
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Manor House (featured building)
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
Authorities

Civil Parish

  • Barrington
History

Detailed History

This white brick Hall opposite the village church conceals a 17th-century core. Richard Stacy, brick contractor to William III built a hall for his son-in-law Thomas Bendyshe, but much was destroyed. In 1920 the house was remodelled by W. J. Keiffer and H.S. Fleming for Captain Bendyshe, a collateral descendant of Lord Nelson.
References

Contributors

  • Cambridgeshire Gardens Trust