Old Manor Farm, Great Staughton 5961

Great Staughton, England, Cambridgeshire, Huntingdonshire

Brief Description

Features of the Old Manor Farm include a motte and bailey, a moat and pollarded sycamores.

History

Old Manor Farm was created in the late-13th century as a fortified manor house. The house was abandoned in the early-18th century.

Detailed Description

The remains of the manor house were used to build the walled garden at Staughton Manor. Around the house was a motte and bailey with entrance from the east. This castle formation stands above a large rectangular space enclosed by a wide and fairly deep moat. An inner moat to the south has an extension to the north-west which were once fish ponds. Parts of the moat still contain water. There are fine pollarded sycamores along the dry outer moat.
Features
  • Moat
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Pollarded Tree
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Fishpond
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Manor House (featured building)
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
Authorities

Civil Parish

  • Great Staughton
History

Detailed History

There stood an interesting fortified manor house built around 1274 by Adam de Creting, which for almost four centuries was the home of the Cretings and Wautons. The house was in disrepair by 1705 and soon after was abandoned as a ruin.
References

Contributors

  • Cambridgeshire Gardens Trust