Priory Park, St Neots 5951

St Neots, England, Cambridgeshire, Huntingdonshire

Brief Description

Features of Priory Park include shelter belts, tree clumps, a shrubbery walk and a walled orchard.

History

Priory Park was created in the late-18th century.

Visitor Facilities

http://www.huntsdc.gov.uk/Leisure+and+Culture/Parks+and+Countryside/St+Neots+-+Priory+Park.htm

Detailed Description

There is a boundary shelter belt planting, and some individual trees remaining from the medieval field boundaries, and clumps of exotic introductions. The garden had a shrubbery walk screening a quadrant shaped walled orchard. There are views across the Park to the River Ouse to the west.
Features
  • Shelter Belt
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Clump
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Orchard
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Shrubbery
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Walk
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Garden Wall
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Hall (featured building)
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
Access & Directions

Access Contact Details

http://www.huntsdc.gov.uk/Leisure+and+Culture/Parks+and+Countryside/St+Neots+-+Priory+Park.htm
Authorities

Civil Parish

  • Kimbolton
History

Detailed History

This public park extends over 32 hectares to the north of St. Neots. The house, built for Owsley Rowley in 1792 and later altered in the 19th century, was situated on high ground in the north-east corner.

In the 1930s, the occupant was George Fydell Rowley who was noted for his eccentricities. He was voilently opposed to motor cars and expected his guests to arrive in horse drawn vehicles, or they were not invited again.

The house was demolished in 1965 to make way for a new housing estate and the park handed over to the Local District Council.

Period

  • Late 18th Century
  • 18th Century
References

Contributors

  • Cambridgeshire Gardens Trust