Little Paxton Hall (also known as Bethany House)5952

St Neots, England, Cambridgeshire, Huntingdonshire

Brief Description

Features of Little Paxton Hall include an avenue, kitchen gardens, flower gardens and a large orchard.

History

Little Paxton Hall was created in the mid-18th century as a private residence for Bishop Reynolds.

Visitor Facilities

http://www.carehome.co.uk/carehome.cfm/searchazref/10001505BETA

Detailed Description

The Hall could be approached from the south through a fine avenue or from the original Great North Road to the west. It is an imposing property originally with extensive kitchen and flower gardens set in 21.2 hectares of open pasture land. The sale particulars of 1811 record the large orchard and a well stocked dovecotee. In 1920 the whole estate of 680.8 hectares was sold and divided into 27 lots. There is now a large garden to the front of the house.
Features
  • Avenue
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Dovecote
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Orchard
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Hall (featured building)
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
Access & Directions

Access Contact Details

http://www.carehome.co.uk/carehome.cfm/searchazref/10001505BETA
Authorities

Civil Parish

  • Kimbolton
History

Detailed History

Little Paxton Hall is situated to the north of the village church. Rebuilt in 1738, it incorporated parts of an Elizabethan house built by Bishop Reynolds of Lincoln for his son. In 1989 the Hall was renamed Bethany House and converted into a retirement home.
References

Contributors

  • Cambridgeshire Gardens Trust