Gaynes Hall, Great Staughton 5957

Great Staughton, England, Cambridgeshire, Huntingdonshire

Brief Description

Features of Gaynes Hall include garden walls, a moat, a bridge and an avenue.

History

Gaynes Hall was created during the late-17th century for the Duberly family.

Detailed Description

In 1798 Humphrey Repton was commissioned by Sir James Duberly to submit plans and remarks for the improvement of Gaynes Hall. In Repton’s Red Book there are various marginal comments by the owner disagreeing with Repton’s ideas. Repton’s suggestions for views to the churches of Little Staughton, Jeysoe and Great Staughton were carried out. Part of the park to the east is now the site of a prison.

Today the 17th-century garden walls remain to the east of the Hall. The moat, which formerly surrounded the Hall, is fragmentary, but has the northern arm partly filled with water and spanned by a bridge. There are still remains of an outer moat to the south and east of the Hall with a smaller moated enclosure at the north-east corner. The entrance lodge and drive to the north have the remains of a fine avenue to the Hall.

Features
  • Moat
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Garden Wall
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Ornamental Bridge
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Avenue
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Gate Lodge
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Manor House (featured building)
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
Authorities

Civil Parish

  • Great Staughton
History

Detailed History

Gaynes Hall was built by George Byfield at the end of the 17th century for the Duberly family, and stands on high ground with fine views to the south within a wooded park.
References

Contributors

  • Cambridgeshire Gardens Trust