The Manor, Great Staughton (also known as Garden Farm)5960

Great Staughton, England, Cambridgeshire, Huntingdonshire

Brief Description

Features of The Manor include a drive, gate piers, footpath, a sunken garden, ponds, a rockery and a model railway.

History

The Manor was created in the mid-16th century.

Detailed Description

The pair of fine stone gate piers with rustication and bands of Greek key motifs with swags above can be seen across the park. As one approaches the church, the park can be seen with mature planes, limes and extensive ridge and furrow.

To the north of the Manor is the stable block with a central arch. Further east a private footpath runs along a tributary of the river to the churchyard. This continues as a ha-ha around the grounds to the south of the Manor. After the First World War the owner Mr. Howey, laid out a track for his model railway in the park and garden over a mile in length. This half sized model railway was later given to the Dymchurch Railway in Kent, which Mr Howey founded in 1921. The east garden was developed in the 1930s as a sunken garden with suspension bridge and adjacent ponds with rockeries (now overgrown).

To the west of the Manor stands a fine walled kitchen garden of about one hectare at Garden Farm. A gardener’s cottage is built centrally along the north wall. This garden employed seven gardeners before the First World War. Today the garden is used partly as a farmyard, but two-thirds of the 18th-century brick walls still remain with original copings.

Features
  • Drive
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Gateway
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Rockery
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Ha-ha
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Pond
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Ornamental Bridge
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Path
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Kitchen Garden
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Manor House (featured building)
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
Authorities

Civil Parish

  • Great Staughton
History

Detailed History

The Manor dates from 1539 and was later extended in 1768. It stands in the remains of a 200 hectare park with the main drive from the east near the village school.

Period

  • Tudor (1485-1603)
References

Contributors

  • Cambridgeshire Gardens Trust