The Cemetery, Kimbolton 5963

Kimbolton, England, Cambridgeshire, Huntingdonshire

Brief Description

Features of the Cemetery include wrought iron gates, walks, a chapel and a lodge.

History

The Cemetery was created in the mid-19th century.

Visitor Facilities

http://www.visionwebsites.co.uk/Contents/Text/Index.asp?SiteId=546&SiteExtra=13173999&TopNavId=564&NavSideId=6147

Detailed Description

The Cemetery is situated to the north of the village church and reached by a well-maintained footpath passing medieval cottages and then over a humped backed cast iron bridge, over the river Kym, which flows round the north of the town. The site comprises nearly one hectare, with access through fine wrought iron gates and railings between the decorative brick Mortuary Chapel and the Lodge.

In 1860, the Cemetery had a central and perimeter walk. The original plantings of conifers—cedar of Lebanon, redwoods, cypresses, yews and incense cedars—are now mature specimens, forming a botanical collection still to be admired by visitors on their Sunday walk.

Features
  • Walk
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Gate Lodge
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Chapel
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Gateway
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Ornamental Bridge
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Path
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
Access & Directions

Access Contact Details

http://www.visionwebsites.co.uk/Contents/Text/Index.asp?SiteId=546&SiteExtra=13173999&TopNavId=564&NavSideId=6147
Authorities

Civil Parish

  • Kimbolton
History

Detailed History

The Cemetery was laid out around 1860.

Period

  • Mid 19th Century
References

Contributors

  • Cambridgeshire Gardens Trust