Place House, Great Staughton 5959

Great Staughton, Huntingdonshire, Cambridgeshire, England

Brief Description

Features of Place House include a moat, brick walls and yew hedges.

History

Place House was created in the mid-16th century.

Detailed Description

Leader imparked a large area of land, which led to riots by the adjoining tenants. The house was originally surrounded by a formal moat, which is now partially filled in, and brick walls to the south. There is a further moated enclosure to the west of the house and in the corner of the adjacent field a rectangular mound with rounded edges. Nearer the house are clipped yew hedges.
Features
  • Garden Wall
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Hedge
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Moat
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • House (featured building)
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
Authorities

Civil Parish

  • Great Staughton
History

Detailed History

Immediately to the north-west of the church, on the north side of the road, is Place House, originaly built on the site of a moated grange of the Charterhouse by Sir Oliver Leader (1539) when he acquired the Rectory Manor.

Period

  • 16th Century
References

Contributors

  • Cambridgeshire Gardens Trust