Diddington Hall 5954

Kimbolton, Huntingdonshire, Cambridgeshire, England

Brief Description

Features of Diddington Hall include parterres, a sundial, garden walls and glass structures.

History

Diddington Hall was created in the mid-18th century as a private residence for the Thornhill family.

Detailed Description

The original layout of the park is thought to have been carried out by Richard Wood, garden designer (?1716-1795). By 1884 the garden contained an extensive range of conifers and in a three foot deep bed of sawdust, rhododendrons survived remarkably well.

To the east of the Hall the elaborate parterre was filled with echeverias, sedums, mesembryanthemums and multicoloured coleus. There was a parterre with L shaped yew hedging at the four corners, and a sundial. To the south was an inner and outer walled garden with glass structures. Sadly, the Hall was demolished in 1962 and the garden was lost, but fine mature trees remain in the park.

Features
  • Sundial
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Garden Wall
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Manor House (featured building)
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
Authorities

Civil Parish

  • Kimbolton
History

Detailed History

Built in the mid-18th century for the Thornhill family to the south of the village church, Diddington Hall was situated in a well wooded extensive park depicted on the 1859 Estate map. The Hall was demolished in 1962.
References

Contributors

  • Cambridgeshire Gardens Trust