Crowcroft Park 5110

Manchester, England, Greater Manchester

Brief Description

Crowcroft Park is a community park situated in a residential area. It offers a number of attractions including flower gardens, woodlands, sports facilities and community events.

History

Opened in 1900, Crowcroft was one of Manchester's early parks. It was originally set out as a typical Victorian park with flower beds and sports facilities. Since 2001 it has been enhanced as a community facility.

Visitor Facilities

This is a municipal site for general public use. Please see: http://www.manchester.gov.uk/site/scripts/documents_info.php?documentID=2888

Detailed Description

This roughly square-shaped park is situated on the A6 Stockport Road in an area of high-density housing.

Originally set out in 1900 as a typical Victorian park, it had flower beds and borders, an elaborate bandstand as well as cricket and football pitches.

Currently the site is comprised mainly of amenity grassland divided by various access routes, some woodland areas and scattered mature trees throughout the site. Plantings include rose beds and summer and winter bedding. A range of sports and community activies are organised by the City Council and the Friends group.

Features
  • Flower Bed
  • Earliest Date:
  • Tree Feature
  • Description: woodland areas and mature trees throughout the site.
  • Earliest Date:
Access & Directions

Access Contact Details

This is a municipal site for general public use. Please see: http://www.manchester.gov.uk/site/scripts/documents_info.php?documentID=2888

Directions

The site is in the Gorton South area of Manchester on the A6 Stockport Road.
History

Detailed History

In 1848 Crowcroft Park was a private residence with grounds, close to Crowcroft Mill. The mill had gone by 1895 and the house and grounds developed. The site was acquired by Manchester Corporation in 1900 on a 999 year lease from the Dean and Canons of Manchester for £520 a year. The Corporation laid out the Park to provide a variety of recreational facilities for the young residents of the neighboroughood.

Since 2001, the Park has been further enhanced through local authority and community partnership.

Period

  • Early 20th Century (1901-1932)
References

References