This small estate, extant in the mid-19th century, included Birch Hall and its grounds and was originally surrounded by fields and a stream. The site is currently (2008) occupied by Manchester Grammar School and Birchfields Park.
The Hall and grounds are recorded on the 1848 Ordnance Survey map. By 1895 there was a farm to the north-east of the Hall and gardens. The surrounding fields are occupied by Birchfields Park, opened in 1888 on land bought from the estate by the city council.
Detailed DescriptionThis small estate, to the west of Birch Hall Lane, was originally surrounded by open fields. The grounds included the Hall, a formal garden and a productive (kitchen) garden to the south and east of the Hall. A detached area to the north east was developed as Birch Hall Farm by 1895. The formal layout of the grounds had been simplified by this time and there was possibly an orchard and a pond.
Flower Bed, Kitchen Garden, Pond
- University of Manchester and University of York, 1994A Survey of Historic Parks and Gardens in Greater Manchester