Brambridge Park 4973

Brambridge, Eastleigh, Winchester, Hampshire, England

Brief Description

Partly re-built in classical style after a fire in 1872, Brambridge House is now divided into tenanted and leasehold flats. The shape of its gardens and park from the 19th century are still visible with the River Itchen and bridges, a ha-ha and the once splendid double lime avenue (sold off to a local farmer). Three acres (1.2 hectares) of walled and un-walled kitchen gardens have become Brambridge Garden Centre.

History

A mansion house has existed on the site since the at least the early-18th century. The current building was partly re-built after a fire in 1872 with a design by Matthew Digby Wyatt.

Detailed Description

A feature of the grounds is the double lime avenue, which is reputed to date back to Charles II era and to have been pollarded for gunstock in Napoleonic times.

The house is now divided into flats, and houses have been built in the stable block, while the East Lodge is a separate dwelling. Seven acres of the gardens remain and several specimen trees can be found but the whole is in a poor state of maintenance. Though not in good condition, ironwork and stone balustrades leading to the ha-ha are interesting features. The kitchen gardens were sold off and have become Brambridge Garden Centre. The lime avenue was sold to a local farmer some time ago and is not in very good shape. Owned by the Development company M25 the future of the estate is unclear.

Features
  • Garden Wall
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Waterfall
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Ornamental Bridge
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Kitchen Garden
  • Description: The kitchen gardens were sold off and have become Brambridge Garden Centre.
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Avenue
  • Description: A feature of the grounds is the double lime avenue, which is reputed to date back to Charles II era and to have been pollarded for gunstock in Napoleonic times.
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Ha-ha
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Mansion House (featured building)
  • Description: The original House was constructed between 1700 and 1720. Following a major fire in 1872 it was rebuilt to a design by Matthew Digby Wyatt.
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Ironwork
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
Authorities

Civil Parish

  • Colden Common
History

Detailed History

Gilbert Welles, of a local Catholic family, secured a manor at Otterbourne in 1566 and a later Gilbert Welles was granted nearby Brambridge by Charles I in 1636. A mansion house has existed on the site since the at least the early-18th century. The Smythe family (the most famous member of which was Maria Fitzherbert, ‘wife' of the Prince of Wales, son of George III) was in residence in the latter half of the 18th century but the current building was partly re-built after a fire in 1872 with a design by Matthew Digby Wyatt.

A striking aspect of the gardens is the way the River Itchen flows through with bridges, waterfalls and cascades forming part of the design. By the end of the 19th century, the gardens included two acres (0.8 hectares) of walled kitchen garden and one acre (0.4 hectares) of un-walled kitchen garden. The house was served by gas from a gashouse in the kitchen garden area and central heating. There was a large stable block.

Associated People

Just one person associated to Brambridge Park

Contact

Telephone

01793 445050

Official Website

Click Here

Other websites