Shawford House 5166

Winchester, England, Hampshire, Winchester

Brief Description

The site has a Grade 2* listed building (1685) in around 24 hectares of parkland and formal gardens. The estate is bounded by the River Itchen and Itchen Navigation, giving rise to double and single bank fishing. A Grade II listed folly stands in the grounds. In 2008 much restoration of the landscape was being undertaken.

History

Shawford House, in the parish of Twyford, was built for Sir Henry Mildmay in 1685 on the site of the pre-existing Dares House. Extensive Mildmay Estate accounts (1653-1728) detail planting, garden work and construction of banquet houses. Its gardens and orchards, planted in 1683, were supplemented with paths, archways and ornaments.

Detailed Description

A recent owner developed the parkland for polo events but the present owner is currently (2008) restoring some of the much earlier landscape. The house, though much-changed since the 17th century, is in good condition.

The estate has been reduced to around 24 hectares (59 acres) and consists of parkland in permanent pasture and two formal gardens, as well as lawns, many mature trees and a kitchen garden. There are considerable stretches of single and double bank fishing. The house is Grade II* listed with a Grade II listed ‘folly' (the Pigeon House) in the grounds.

Features
  • Garden Wall
  • Description: The garden was encircled with a high garden wall.
  • Earliest Date:
  • Orchard
  • Earliest Date:
  • Path
  • Earliest Date:
  • Canal
  • Description: A Sales Map of 1811 shows a designed landscape with an ornamental canal which appears to have been short-lived.
  • Latest Date:
  • Folly
  • Description: The Sales map in 1857 shows that what was previously called a Dove House is now a Pigeon House.
  • Latest Date:
  • Sundial
  • Description: The gardens were re-designed in 1920. A central sundial or possibly a mediaeval cock pit and yew hedges were revealed when a sunken garden was added.
  • Latest Date:
  • Hedge
  • Description: The gardens were re-designed in 1920. A central sundial or possibly a mediaeval cock pit and yew hedges were revealed when a sunken garden was added.
  • Latest Date:
  • Mansion House (featured building)
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • River
  • Description: The estate is bounded by the River Itchen and Itchen Navigation, giving rise to double and single bank fishing.
Kitchen Garden
Authorities

Civil Parish

  • Twyford
History

Detailed History

Shawford House, in the parish of Twyford, was built for Sir Henry Mildmay in 1685 on the site of the pre-existing Dares House. Extensive Mildmay Estate accounts (1653-1728) detail planting, garden work and construction of banquet houses. Its gardens and orchards, planted in 1683, were supplemented with paths, archways and ornaments. The whole was encircled with a high garden wall. A Sales Map of 1811 shows a designed landscape with an ornamental canal which appears to have been short-lived. By the 1840 Tithe map the canal has disappeared, leaving only a drainage channel in the same area, possible to create a more natural landscape.

The Sales map in 1857 shows that what was previously called a Dove House is now a Pigeon House and the area to the south of the house is now The Park. The 1st edition 25" Ordnance Survey map of 1869 shows that an area on the eastern boundary has become a walled garden divided into four parts and possibly orchards. By the 2nd edition Ordnance Survey map 1987-98, the walled garden is shown but the orchard has gone.

The estate stayed in the Mildmay family until 1857 when it was sold to the tenant, Major General Frederick. In 1912 and again in 1920, the house was re-designed by H H Jewell with a ballroom and arcaded loggia. The gardens, too, were re-designed and a central sundial or possibly a mediaeval cock pit and yew hedges were revealed when a sunken garden was added.

A wartime spell as a military maternity home (1940-45) left the house dilapidated and the gardens overgrown. After the war, Sir Brian Mountain restored much and cleared the back streams of the Itchen.

Contact

Telephone

01793 445050

Official Website

Click Here